The Jason Parker Quartet hit the road for a two-week tour in May 2010. We were equipped with audio, video and cameras to document the whole experience. You can find all posts about the tour here.Day three of the JPQ tour found us driving from Eureka, CA to Berkeley for our gig at The Beta Lounge. My friend Rob Michaelfrom Atmos Trio turned me on to this club, and it turned out to be a super cool place to play and hang for the evening.
Of course, we couldn’t just drive straight through. That would be very un-JPQ-like! So we took our time, stopping at Eureka’s food co-op to have breakfast with some goats, wine tasting at Riverbend Cellars in Humboldt County, attempting and then bailing on driving through a giant redwood and much, much more. In the end, we arrived at The Beta Lounge to find both Rob and another Twitter friend Darin Wilson there (they both sat in with us) as well as my parents, aunt and uncle and many old friends there to hang with us! It was a great day and night all around.
Here’s the video highlight reel of day three:
Once again, the club was too dark to film with my Kodak Zi8, but I did get some audio. Here we are playing “Bashert” with Rob sitting in a killin’ it on guitar:
And here’s what we listened to in the van, with links to buy should you be so inclined:
1. Weezer – The Blue Album
2. Yesterdays New Quintet – Angles Without Edges
3. Radiohead – Amnesiac
4. Radiohead – Hail To The Theif
5. Gil Scott-Heron – Small Talk At 125th and Lenox
6. Gene Haris – Gene Haris Trio +1
7. Hadley Caliman – Gratitude
8. John Coltrane – The Classic Quartet: Complete Impulse! Studio Recordings
9. Tribe Called Quest – The Low End Theory
10. Department of Eagels – In Ear Park
11. Atmos Trio – Atmos Trio
12. Avishai Cohen – Adama
13. Brad Mehldau – Highway Travler
14. Gravity – Grimey
Next up – San Francisco, for an unplanned sub gig for Josh, set up by Darin Wilson!